Wednesday, August 27, 2008

RSS

I didn't know what RSS was so this was all new to me. I've now watched the YouTube introduction twice and asked our splendid Support Services librarian if I was heading in the right direction. Now I've added at least 5 RSS feeds to my bloglines account and I think I could get addicted. No I won't, as I do have customers to attend to and a husband who doesn't want me glued to a pc when I go home. I've added feeds including the Powerhouse Museum's picture of the day(this one I will try to look at regularly),ABC News:Top Stories, Eastman NH, Living in Vancouver,The Root and a few others. Some I will delete when I've looked at them again if I think they're not worth keeping. As much as it was fun subscribing it was also time consuming checking the sites out and getting carried away! I've looked at so much more on the Internet since I began this training. (is this a good sign?!) For libraries I think the use of this technology for promoting our services, book reviews and events would be great.I'm sure there are customers out there who would love it. I have now added blogs from Sutherland and Rockdale Libraries. Rockdale is similar set up to our Readers in the Mist although without the humour! I must agree with other comments that Sutherland has clear tabs, the blue on white with blue tones is fresh looking, almost ocean like (for where they are situated).

No comments: